Carroll County Amateur Radio Club, Inc.

K3PZN

Home Repeaters ARES/RACES Hamfest History Contact us

Historical Information

The CCARC traces its Carroll County, Maryland roots back to 1935 and the informal eyeball QSOs of several radio enthusiasts living in and near Westminster, MD. Eventually some of them became licensed and the CCARC had its beginning.

WW II caused a lapse in HAM activity. After the War, HAM Radio resumed in Carroll County and the CCARC continued on an informal basis. According to the old timers, an attempt to formalize the CCARC came in the 60's when the club was awarded the call letters K3PZN. Carroll County, being a rural county, didn't see a large growth in licensed amateurs and so the club remained relatively informal with on-the-air meetings every Monday night on 29.300 Mhz.

As the county began to grow and HAMs moved to the suburbs where open space was conducive to large towers and antenna arrays, a small group in 1976 reorganized and formalized the Carroll County Amateur Radio Club. Thus the modern day CCARC was born and has since been in continual existence.

Late in the 70's, a series of storms hit the Carroll County area. CCARC ARES members worked with county emergency officials providing commuications as necessary. One storm in particular, Tropical storm David, taxed both the CCARC and counties communication abilities. Several CCARC members, including currently active members were determined to solve the communcations problems and put K3PZN/R (145.410 mhz.) on the air in April 1980. K3PZN/R has been serving north central Maryland and the south central part of Pennsylvania continously ever since.

Copyright © 2012 CCARC Designed by Web Page Templates