Information for the Employer
you are uninsured for the date of the alleged accident, notify the Workers' Compensation Commission
and the Uninsured Employers Fund immediately.
Questionnaire and list any defenses you may have such as: “The claimant is
not an employee,” “The claimant is an independent contractor,” “The claimant is
a casual employee,” etc.
must appear for a hearing when
summoned in order to have your side heard by the Workers' Compensation
Commission. If you do not appear, the Commission will decide the case
based upon the information provided by the injured worker.
disability benefits awarded and related medical expenses of the injured worker
will be your responsibility. Payment is to be made within thirty (30) days
from the date of the award of compensation.
· Should you default in payment of the award, the claimant may apply to the Director of the Uninsured Employers Fund (UEF) for payment.
Applicable Fines and Assessments:
1. $1,000 non-insured fine.
2. 15% of any award made as a result of the claim, not to exceed $5000.00 for any one claim.
3. 8.5% of any permanency award, death claim, or settlement agreement approved by the Commission.
The following actions are taken following the failure of an employer to pay the resulting fines, assessments, and repayment of claimant benefits:
1. UEF will file a lien against the assets of the employer for all fines, assessments and repayments due.
2. UEF will request suspension of the employers license or permit to do business in the State of Maryland.
3. Any debt owed to the UEF that is in default will be referred to the State's Central Collection Division which adds an additional 17% collection fee to the debt.
4. Failure to obtain insurance is misdemeanor and is subject to a fine up to $5,000 or one year imprisonment or both. Corporate officers responsible for general management of the corporation are suject to the fine and imprisonment.
5. In cases of extreme hardship, an uninsured employer may request the UEF to allow a repayment plan to be established. Such a plan provides for monthly payments for a maximum duration of 36 months, and the above four actions will not occur providing the agreed upon monthly payments are made.