No Dial-Tone or Noisy Line:
If you have no dial-tone on a line, there are several things you can try to diagnose the issue:
1. Try a different phone in the same jack.
2. Try a different jack in the house, if there is one.
3. Do a NID test, if possible. The NID is the telephone box that acts as a junction point between the outside service line and the inside wiring. If you live in a house, it is most likely outside on the side of the house. If you live in an apartment unit, it is likely going to be in a shared telco room, so a NID test may not be possible. See below for instructions.
Performing a NID test:
1. Open the customer side of the box with a screwdriver.
Typical residential outdoor NID.
2. Find the correct NID module, if there is more than one. Not all modules will be active – look for the one with inside wiring connected to it. If needed, open the tab that covers the test jack. Plug in your phone to the test jack, listen for a dial-tone, and make a test call.
3. If you do not have dial-tone or the line is still noisy at the correct test jack, call tech support at 410-239-6920 ext. 4 and inform the technician of what you found to set up a dispatch*. If the service is active and noise-free at the test jack, you may have an inside wiring issue.
Technical support hours are as follows:
Mon-Fri: 9 AM – 9 PM
Sat: 10 AM – 5 PM
Sun: 12 PM – 5 PM
*Dispatches are usually same-day or next-day depending on current workload and time of day. Dispatches may be delayed due to inclement weather or if the issue goes away.